Trayvon Martin Demonstration
Original event page:
Some organizers are publicly organizing a demonstration to follow the Zimmerman verdict. The call-out is explicitly anti-judicial, anti-clergy, anti-political, and obviously anti-police. The call-out basically critiques white supremacy and contemporary counter-insurrectional strategies used by the state and the churches.
Uncontrollables should be prepared to arrive with masks because media and police will almost certainly be present. Even if you do not plan to do anything illegal, you should come with a mask on to protect the courageos ones who may fight, as well as family and friends from any possible legal consequences that may follow. Come with a plan. Come with a team or some buddies. The DHS is definitely watching. This is a national concern for the forces of order. Do not brag or posture. Don't bring your phone; if you do, bring it with the battery out before you leave your house. Use Tor and other security tools if you are posting anything online.
Potential counter-insurrectional forces:
1) The family. They do not want their names tarnished. They will use any discursive means to contain the rebellion. This is not just about Travyon, however. Everyone has a reason to rebel.
2) The church. They will use civil rights-era rhetoric and discourse to minimize the legitimacy of active revolt. They will racialize the rebellion because they see themselves as the leaders and representatives of black people in the city. They will use this power to work with the police and local politicians.
3) Local politicians. They may insist that it is "outsiders" from the suburbs, other cities, or other neighborhoods who have rioted. They will attempt to mobilize liberalism and any type of political nationalism to discredit rebellion. They may attempt to provide economist motivations to the rebellion and try to formulate worthless demands of the city as a way to funnel rebellion into frustrating and non-conflictual avenues. They must be publicly shamed. Activists, event organizers, community leaders, and non-profit staffers may also attempt to control the narrative of any event to push their own agenda on the crowd, from above. We must put forth narratives that always justify revolt and that always condemn authority.
4) The police. They may attempt a "hands off" approach at the beginning of any disturbances. They may passively justify the "peaceful" demonstrators and try to turn them against the "violent ones." We must subvert this paradigm as much as possible. We should spread the use of masks to as many people as possible. We should not allow fighters to be marginalized. We must publicly defend rebellion, if it occurs.
5) The media. "Outside agitators", "white men" "criminal youth," "thugs", "opportunists," "violent protestors": the media may, like the police, applaud the peaceful demonstrators or some particular demographic (students, for example). This support must be recognized as a counter-insurrectional tactic. If they support some protestors, it's because they want to suppress others.