GLAHR traveled to the September 1, 2011 protest in Birmingham against HB56, a law that would promote racial profiling and segregation. The law, similar to Georgia's HB87
- allows police to check the immigration status of anyone they're detaining
- allows them to hold them until ICE arrives to take them
- requires schools to inquire about the immigration status of students and their parents
- voids contracts held by undocumented immigrants
- makes it illegal to transport undocumented immigrants
- makes it illegal to give them housing or work
Watch the video for more information, coverage of the demonstration and interviews with participants.
GLAHR's website is GLAHR.org, 770 457 5232.